By the end of Stage A, students should be generally confident in the following concepts:
- what pulse is
- what a time signature is and where to find it
- bars and bar-lines including the final bar line of a piece
- playing in 4 crotchets to a bar
- being able to clap 2, 3, or 4 beats to a bar with a strong beat on the first beat (they don’t need to be explicitly aware of what or why they are doing this but it is a good set up for later work).
- Echo rhythms – clap (or otherwise sound out) rhythms in 2, 3, or 4 beats and ask students to echo them.
- General rhythm work – using rhythms of 2, 3, or 4 beats ask students to clap them emphasising the strong/weak beat pattern. You could use flash cards or aural work, or get the students to write their own rhythms of a specified number of beats.
- Body percussion – using body percussion (e.g. clicking, clapping, tapping the head, stomping feet) ask students to perform a pulse making the first beat of the ‘bar’ different to the other beats – e.g. a stomp for beat 1 and claps for beats 2/3/4.
- Clapping along to music – ask students to clap along to a piece of music you play. This could be a piece they are working on.
- Stave work – ask students to identify on the page the bars/bar lines/time signatures.
We sell our resources through Payhip. Visit our online store to browse our materials. The links below will take you directly to the specified product.
Stage A: 4 Crotchets in a Bar Time Signature
Introduces the concept of time signature, specifically 4 crotchets in a bar
Four Crotchet Beats in a Bar
Get Set! Piano Pieces 1
I like… – pg 2 (HS)
Marching Song – pg 3 (HS)
Apple Tree – pg 3 (HS)
Louis Legato’s Skates – pg 3 (HS)
Suzie Staccato’s Dance – pg 3 (HS)
Pitter, Patter, Rainy Days – pg 4 (HS)
Little Bird – pg 6 (HS)
Yankee Doodle – pg 7 (HS)
Making the Grade
Ode to Joy – pg 7 (RH)
Little Brown Jug – pg 8 (HS)
My Old Man’s A Dustman – pg 9 (RH)
Trumpet Voluntary – pg 10 (HS)
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star – pg 11 (HS)
Pieces 11 – 14 (HS)Piece 16 (RH)
Piece 17 (LH)
Piece 20 (RH)
John Thompson’s First Nursery Rhymes
Pease Porridge Hot – pg 3 (HS)
Cobbler, Cobbler – pg 4 (HS)
Supersonics Blast Off
1. First Steps (RH)
2. Hold on (RH)
3. Can You Count? (RH)
4. That’s Easy! (RH)
5. Count it Out (RH)
6. Up and Down (RH)
7. Stepping Up (RH)
8. Stepping Up and Down (RH)
9. Skipping (RH)
10. Look! Both Hands (HS C – G)
11. Left and Right (HS C – G)