In Stage B, students are introduced to the sustain pedal. By the end of Stage B, students should be able to:
- find the sustain pedal
- know what the sustain pedal does (in basic terms, they don’t need to fully understand the mechanics)
- play pieces where they hold down the sustain pedal for the entire piece.
- Play a piece of music or a tune to the student twice, once with the pedal and once without. Ask the student to describe the difference.
- Get the student to look inside the piano and see what happens when you put the pedal(s) down. This is a further opportunity to discuss how the pedal works.
- Ask students to compose their own pieces that use the pedal.