To complete this unit students should learn about:
- quaver groups (e.g. 2 or 4 beamed quavers)
- minims & semibreves rests
- ties (using note lengths the learning in Stage A and Stage B).
By the end of Stage B, students should be confident in playing pieces with a mixture of all the notes they have learned so far.
Our rhythm flash cards can be used to help students develop their rhythm reading skills, and can also help support other activities like composing or improvisation.
We sell our resources through Payhip. Visit our online store to browse our materials. The links below will take you directly to the specified product.
Stage B Rhythm Cards 3 Crotchets per Bar – Notes Only
Different rhythmic combinations using quaver pairs, crotchets, minims, and dotted minims in a 3 crotchets per bar metre.
Stage B Rhythm Cards 3 Crotchets per Bar – Notes and Rests
Different rhythmic combinations using crotchet and minim rests, alongside quaver pairs, crotchets, and minims, in a 3 crotchets per bar metre.
Stage B Rhythm Cards 4 Crotchets per Bar – Notes Only
Different rhythmic combinations using quaver (beamed in pairs and 4s), crotchets, and minims in a 4 crotchets per bar metre.
Stage B Rhythm Cards 4 Crotchets per Bar – Notes and Rests
Different rhythmic combinations using quaver (beamed in pairs and 4s), crotchets, minims, crotchet rests, and minim rests in a 4 crotchets per bar metre.
- Many of the activities in Unit A2 can be adapted for use with these new note values and rests.
- Take a Rest covers crotchet, minim, and semibreve rests. It also includes single quaver notes which can be removed or introduced as appropriate.
- Catch the Sushi in the Free Music Pack is a great game to help students to identify crotchet, minim, and semibreve rests.
We sell our worksheets through Payhip. The links below will take you to the relevant Payhip pages.
Stage B Signs and Symbols
One worksheet on the signs and symbols covered in Stage B.
Stage B Note Lengths Duo
Contains two worksheets:
- 1x double sided worksheet introducing minim and semibreve rests (along with crotchet rests)
- 1x double sided worksheet introducing quavers beamed in groups of 2 and 4.
Stage B Rhythm Quiz Trio
These quizzes are designed to give students more practice at identifying how many beats different notes and rests are worth.
- Rests and notes quiz 1: Music maths using Stage A note values, plus crotchets, minims, and semibreve rests.
- Rests and notes quiz 2: Music maths using Stage A and Stage B note and rest values.
- One ties worksheet.
Stage B Time Signature Quiz Duo
Two worksheets covering the following time signatures:
- 3 crotchets a bar
- 4 crotchets a bar