Stage C is the third level of the piano TRACKS curriculum. To complete Stage C students should be comfortable with:
- notes up to one ledger line above and below the treble clef stave
- notes up to one ledger line above and below the bass clef stave
- the signs for playing an octave higher or lower than written
- single quavers, quaver rests, dotted crotchets, fermatas
- what a dot does to the length of a note
- ritardando, rallentando, and accelerando
- allegro, adagio, and andante
- what an upbeat is
- music in 2 crotchets a bar, and 3 or 6 quavers a bar
- pianissimo and fortissimo
- 6ths, 7ths, and octaves
- the key signatures of C, G, D, and F majors
- the patterns of tones and semitones in a major scale
- tonic and dominant
- tonic triads and broken chords
- waltzes, and minuets
- 1st and 2nd time bars.
Click the buttons below to explore resources, repertoire, and teaching ideas for each unit.
Unit C01 – Notes and the Stave
piano TRACKS Unit C1 – Notes and The Stave: One ledger line.
Unit C02 – Rhythm
piano TRACKS Unit C02 – Rhythm:
Dotted crotchets, quavers and quaver rests, and fermatas.
Unit C03 – Tempo
piano TRACKS Unit C3 – Tempo: Beginner tempo terms.
Unit C04 – Pulse and Metre
piano TRACKS Unit C4 – Pulse and Metre: 2 crotchets in a bar, and an introduction to compound time.
Unit C05 – Dynamics
piano TRACKS Unit C5 – Dynamics:
Pianissimo and fortissimo.
Unit C06 – Articulation
piano TRACKS Unit C06 – Articulation:
“Drop and Float”
Unit C07 – Hand Position and Co-ordination
piano TRACKS Unit C7 – Hand Position and Co-ordination: Playing in a one octave range.
Unit C08 – Intervals
piano TRACKS Unit C8 – Intervals:
Basic 6ths, 7ths, and octaves.
Unit C10 – Tonality
piano TRACKS Unit C10 – Tonality: C, G, D, and F majors.
Unit C11 – Technical Exercises
piano TRACKS Unit C11 – Technical Exercises (Scales etc): C, G, and D majors.
Unit C12 – Chords and Harmony
piano TRACKS Unit C12 – Chords and Harmony: C major.
Unit C14 – Pedalling
piano TRACKS Unit C14 – Pedalling: Developing control.
Unit C15 – Forms and Structure
piano TRACKS Unit C15 – Forms and Structure: Waltz, minuet, and 1st and 2nd time markings.