In Unit C04, students will build on their experience of playing in different metres. They should become confident with:
- playing in 2 crotchets in a bar
- playing in 3 quavers in a bar
- playing in 6 quavers in a bar
- playing and identifying upbeats
They should also develop their confidence at aurally identifying 2, 3, or 4 crotchets in a bar.
- Ask students to clap a pulse when starting a new piece, emphasising the strong and weak beats. Students could also use body percussion (e.g. clicking fingers, stomping feet etc.), use percussive instruments.
- Get students to clap along to a piece of music. This could be you playing their piece, or a recording of a piece. Try to link this in to the music they are learning by selecting a work that is in the same metre.
- Clap pulses in different metres and ask students to identify them by ear. You can extend this by playing pieces in with different time signatures.
- Pizza Takeaway in the Free Music Pack (Beginner Theory) is a fun game to help students learn about 2, 3, or 4 crotchets a bar.
We sell our worksheets via Payhip. Visit our shop for more information or to download samples. The links below will take you to the relevant Payhip pages.
Three worksheets looking at concepts of pulse and metre uncovered in this unit.
- Upbeats: An introduction to the upbeat in 2, 3, or 4 crotchets per bar
- Time Signature Quiz 1: 2 crotchets per bar
- Time Signature Quiz 2: 3 and 6 quavers per bar.