In Unit C4, students will build on their experience of playing in different metres. They should become confident with:
- playing in 2 crotchets in a bar
- playing in 3 quavers in a bar
- playing in 6 quavers in a bar
- playing and identifying upbeats
They should also start becoming more confident in aurally identifying 2, 3, or 4 crotchets in a bar.
- When starting a new piece get students to clap a pulse before starting. You can use body percussion (e.g. clicking fingers, stomping feet), or create a louder clap on the strong beats to show where they are.
- Ask students to clap along as you play a piece in a specific metre. If they don’t already know then ask them what metre they think the piece is in, and why. Try to emphasise the strong beats to make it really clear.
- Pizza Takeaway in the Free Music Pack (Beginner Theory) is a fun game to help students learn about 2, 3, or 4 crotchets a bar.
We sell our worksheets via Payhip. Visit our shop for more information or to download samples. The links below will take you to the relevant Payhip pages.