Stage D is the fourth level of the piano TRACKS curriculum. At the end of this stage students should find the Grade 1 level exams accessible. To complete Stage D students should be comfortable with:
- notes up to two ledger lines above and below the stave
- semiquavers, dotted quavers, swung quavers
- triplets (and playing simple quaver triplets)
- what syncopation means and playing simple syncopated rhythms
- an increasing number of tempo terms, and playing pieces with more changes to tempo
- understanding the difference between simple and compound time
- 2 minims in bar, common and cut time signatures
- sforzando and forte-piano dynamic markings
- playing pieces that have a range of around 1 octave in one hand
- more key signatures, scales, tonic triads, and broken chords
- chords I and V
- AB and ABA form structures
Click the buttons below to explore resources, repertoire, and teaching ideas for each unit.
Unit D01 – Notes and the Stave
piano TRACKS Unit D1 – Notes and The Stave: Two ledger line notes.
Unit D02 – Rhythm
piano TRACKS Unit D2 – Rhythm: Semiquavers, dotted quavers, triplets, and syncopation.
Unit D03 – Tempo
piano TRACKS Unit D3 – Tempo: Building on foundation skills.
Unit D04 – Pulse and Metre
piano TRACKS Unit D4 – Pulse and Metre: Building on foundation skills.
Unit D05 – Dynamics
piano TRACKS Unit D5 – Dynamics: Sfz and fp.
Unit D06 – Articulation
piano TRACKS Unit D6 – Articulation: Tenutos.
Unit D07 – Hand Position and Co-ordination
piano TRACKS Unit D7 – Hand Position and Co-ordination: Building on foundation skills.
Unit D08 – Intervals
piano TRACKS Unit D8 – Intervals: Aural identification of 2nds and 3rds.
Unit D10 – Tonality
piano TRACKS Unit D10 – Tonality: A, D, and E minors.
Unit D11 – Technical Exercises
piano TRACKS Unit D11 – Technical Exercises (Scales etc): Exercises with up to one flat or sharp.
Unit D12 – Chords and Harmony
piano TRACKS Unit D12 – Chords and Harmony: G, D, and F major, and A, and D minor.
Unit D13 – Ornaments
piano TRACKS Unit D13 – Ornaments: Acciaccaturas.
Unit D14 – Pedalling
piano TRACKS Unit D14 – Pedalling: Developing further control.
Unit D15 – Forms and Structure
piano TRACKS Unit D15 – Forms and Structure: AB and ABA form.