More tempo terms are added in Unit D3. The following are specifically identified in the curriculum but feel free to add your own.
- a tempo
Students should also be able to manage a piece that includes two changes to tempo (for example a rit then a tempo).
- Clap different pulses with students
- Expand on this by changing the tempo with a rit or accelerando.
- Encourage students to look and identify the tempo of a new piece or sight reading exercise before they start to play.
- Play two repetitions of the same phrase at different tempos, and ask the student to spot the difference, or describe any tempo changes.
- Encourage students to play a range of repertoire in different tempos.
- Discuss who tempo contributes to the mood or character of a piece.