To complete Unit D15 students should become familiar with AB form and ABA form. They should play pieces with these structures and make a reasonable attempt at recognising the structure from the printed music and/or by ear.
- Set repertoire that has AB or ABA forms.
- Encourage the student to think about the form of pieces they play for themselves.
- Ask students to identify and explain the form of a piece they play.
- Some pieces in ABA form may include repeats, and students should be able to identify these as part of the wider structure.
- Get students to compose a piece in AB or ABA form. You could combine this with other new features from Stage D.