Stage E is the fifth level of the piano TRACKS curriculum. At the end of this stage students should find the Grade 2 level exams accessible. To complete Stage E students should be comfortable with:
- notes up to three ledger lines above and below the treble and bass clef staves
- semiquaver rests
- more tempo terms, and gradual or sudden tempo changes
- playing pieces in 3 or 4 minims per bar
- what irregular time signatures are
- how to group notes in compound time
- staccato plus legato/tenuto combinations of articulations
- playing pieces with a range of more than one octave in both hands
- aurally identify 4ths and 5ths
- play pieces in up to two sharps or flats
- play an increased number of scales and arpeggios
- Alberti bass patterns
- upper and lower mordents
- DC/DS al Coda/Fine
Click the buttons below to explore resources, repertoire, and teaching ideas for each unit.
Unit E01 – Notes and the Stave
piano TRACKS Unit E1 – Notes and; The Stave: Three ledger line notes.
Unit E02 – Rhythm
piano TRACKS Unit E2 – Rhythm: Semiquaver rests.
Unit E03 – Tempo
piano TRACKS Unit E3 – Tempo: Developing skills and gaining experience.
Unit E04 – Pulse and Metre
piano TRACKS Unit E4 – Pulse and Metre: Irregular time signatures, minim time signatures, and grouping notes in compound time.
Unit E06 – Articulation
piano TRACKS Unit E6 – Articulation: Staccato plus legato, and staccato plus tenuto.
Unit E07 – Hand Position and Co-ordination
piano TRACKS Unit E7 – Hand Position and Co-ordination: Developing skills.
Unit E08 – Intervals
piano TRACKS Unit E8 – Intervals: Aurally identifying perfect 4ths and 5ths.
Unit E10 – Tonality
piano TRACKS Unit E10 – Tonality: B flat major, B minor, G minor.
Unit E11 – Technical Exercises
piano TRACKS Unit E11 – Technical Exercises (Scales etc): 2 octaves, up to 3 sharps or up to 2 flats.
Unit E12 – Chords and Harmony
piano TRACKS Unit E12 – Chords and Harmony: Alberti bass and primary chords.
Unit E13 – Ornaments
piano TRACKS Unit E13 – Ornaments: Upper and lower mordents.
Unit E14 – Pedalling
piano TRACKS Unit C14 – Pedalling: Continuing to develop control.
Unit E15 – Forms and Structure
piano TRACKS Unit E15 – Forms and Structure: DC/DS and al Fine/al Codas.