For this unit, students should:
- Discover sonatas/sonatinas
- Learn about basic sonata form
- play part or all of a short sonatina.
- Explore the structure of a piece in sonata form with the student
- Use a piece that has a clear, typical structure
- Can the student describe what is happening – both on the page, and when listening to the piece.
- Analyse a piece in sonata form thinking about:
- Modulations and harmony, including cadence points.
- Themes and motifs that are developed, and what happens to them
- Structure including repetitions, exposition, development, and recapitulation.
- Clearly explain and discuss the difference between sonata form and a full sonata with the student.
- Encourage the student to listen to music in these forms at home. Include repertoire for other instruments as well.